Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

"Fraction/Decimal/Percent Card Deck Games from Everyday Math

The Everyday Math  "Fraction/Decimal/Percent Card Deck"  contains cards showing 18 different fractions, decimals, and percents. The fraction, decimals, and percents are equivalent to each other. Even though Everyday Math created an activity booklet to go along with the cards, I find that many teachers are not aware of the suggested activities because they are not in the Teacher Resource Guide manual, or don't play them because there are no formal game boards to accompany the suggestions.

So I am planning to host a workshop in my district to play 10 New Games that use the Fraction/Decimal/Percent Card Deck  in January 2012.  I've been busy creating game boards or playing mats for the games, and I thought I would share some of them with you in a series of  posts.

The first game is called "Bar Graph Addition" and the skills covered in the game are estimating the sums of fractions and recording data on a bar graph. This game is worth the use of class time to play the game as many students don't understand fractions very well. I love this informal format and the fact that you record the sums according to 3 different categories: Sums 1/3 or less, sums between 1/3 and 2/3, and sums 2/3 or greater.

I made this game board to accompany the game, and you only use the fractions cards contained in the deck.  To make it easier for the teacher, the directions to the game are located on the game board at the bottom.

Click on the document to download it.
Deborah

1 comment :

  1. WOW! I just posted about something like this--but your set looks MUCH cooler! In fact, I'm just about to download the fraction game you designed.
    We don't have Everyday Math--does it go up to sixth grade? Sounds like something new to investigate!
    I used some of your meter stick ideas too--this is a GREAT blog! Thanks!

    Kim
     Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...